Pages

Friday, February 6, 2009

Distinctive Voices


Just sitting here listening to a little Fleetwood Mac and thinking that I'd know Stevie Nicks' voice anywhere. There are some voices like that- you recognize them right off the bat because they're so unique.

A few more that come to mind: Freddie Mercury, Barbara Streisand, Britney Spears, (much as I dislike her voice), Steve Perry, (until you hear his replacement for Journey, which sounds just like him!), Celine Dion, Elvis, (of course- and I can't stand his voice!), Ethel Merman!, Rod Stewart...

Ok, this list was way long longer in my head when I started this post and now I'm drawing a blank. You know what I mean, though. The kind of voice you hear in a new song and you don't have to ask who the artist is.

I'm probably un-American to admit to not liking Elvis. I do like Frank Sinatra, though, so that counts for something. (Sending pleas for forgiveness heavenward to my grandfather who thought Sinatra was a not-talent hack. We're not Italian, though, we're Scots. Maybe that's the difference. Had my grandfather been Italian, it would have been in the blood. I mean, can you be Italian and not like Frank Sinatra? I should think that would be morally reprehensible or something. Somehow defiling a natural law of the universe).

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I don't like Elvis, either.

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Yay! I'm so glad I'm not alone!

Marcia Mickelson said...

You're not un-American. I don't get Elvis either. This weekend, I went to an office where the owner is Elvis-obsessed and they had so much memorabilia. Honeslty, it was so tacky. Don't see the big deal at all. And, they were blasting his music the whole time. No, don't get it.