Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Questions to Ask Before Marrying


I just finished reading a really great book by one of my favorite authors, Melissa Senate.

In this book, Questions to Ask Before Marrying, the main character, Ruby, finds a New York Times article that includes, you guessed it, questions a guy and gal should ask before marrying. Ruby and her fiancé seem to have the questions covered, but the last one leaves Ruby more than a little confused.

One trip, two sisters, and a handful of stops in the great US of A later, Ruby finally knows the answer to the question.

This book was one of Senate’s best in my opinion with a fun premise, great character development, and vivid descriptions that made me feel like I was traveling across the country with Ruby.

I’m not sure if this New York Times article ever did in fact exist, but if I were writing my own article it would probably be questions for a modern bride to ask her husband-to-be and it might look a bit like the following:

1. When was the last time you said something like this: “Did that girl we just passed look like Heidi Klum? Huh, I didn’t even notice her.”?
2. True or false: Women like to be told they’re suffering from PMS.
3. Finish this sentence: Online multi-player video games are________.
4. Hearing the SportsCenter theme song makes you feel a) Giddy b) Relaxed c) Nothing compared to the way hearing our song makes you feel
5. Can you memorize this quote: “There are four basic food groups: milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, and chocolate truffles.”?
6. Over the past week how many items and/or areas have you left cleaner than when you found them? a) 0-5 b) 5-10 c)10-15 d) That depends if cleaning out your hard drive--so that Star Wars Battlefront won't crash--counts
7. When do you think I look best? a) When I’m dressed up for a date b) When I’m just hanging out in sweats and a ponytail c) When I’m wearing the colors of your favorite baseball team
8. True or false: There is such a thing as too many shoes.
9. The ideal special occasion gift comes from: a) The Heart b) Home Depot c) The list you found taped to your Bourne Identity DVD case
10. You’ll remember our wedding anniversary because: a) It will be etched in your mind b) It will be programmed into your PDA c) Hopefully the date will be the same as a historic Super Bowl score

Have anything you’d add to the list in my fictional article, blog readers?

1 comment:

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

I'm laughing! I wish I had something witty to add. I'm going to have to read that book- sounds fun!