Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

There's More Than One Way to Write a Book


By Tamra Norton


Just like so many things in life such as how to squeeze the tube of toothpaste, or how to discipline children, there is more than one way to write a book. Marcia Mickelson mentioned that she writes particular scenes, but not necessarily in order, and writes the word "more" as an indicator of where she'll need to fill in the gaps of her story. Read Marcia's blog here.


I've written six novels, all start to finish, without a synopsis, outline, and sometimes even a clue as to where my story will even go. Well, hold on to your hats folks, because I've just ventured into new territory this week. I've completed an extensive five page synopsis for a manuscript I've now begun to write. Every key point is in place, just aching to make its way out of the synopsis and onto the page.


Since I'm venturing a bit into a different genre (middle-grade fantasy), I felt that I needed to know ahead of time where the twists and turns lie (lay--whatever!) And to be honest, now when I sit down to write, I'm so excited to jump into the story, because I know which direction I'm heading. I'll let you know after I've completed the manuscript if this is an exercise I'd like to repeat in the future. But for now, I'm enjoying the structure that my life, generally, is lacking.


Sorry to cut this short today but I've gotta get back to work.


Write on!

2 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I methodically plot out everything in my mind....and then forget it all when I go to write something.

I'm excited for your new process and to read the results!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Sunbum reveals all about meeting Obert Skye!

The Gathering Of The Leven Thump Fans