Pages

Monday, July 7, 2008

Bragging Rights


As the mother of a musical prodigy, I'd like to claim my bragging rights. Yes, it's true, I have a musically talented six year old child. I always knew she had an ear for music, literally. Her violin teacher announced recently that she could play nearly anything she heard, but she wasn't learning the notes on the page. We're still working on reading music, but it's coming.

This last couple of weeks have been especially fun as she's experimenting more with her music. My husband found a song on You Tube and cranked up the volume. From the basement my daughter began playing along with it on her violin. It's one she's played before, but it had been quite a while since she'd even looked at the song. Then the other day she began playing a song on the piano that was currently playing on the radio! She doesn't really even play the piano, or hasn't. Now she's playing her violin songs on the piano too, from ear.

We've decided she has music in her soul. She can't do a thing without humming or singing. Her cars on the Xbox games even sway to the music that's pouring from her cute little lips. She's memorized nearly every song on our karaoke game and can sing all the words to songs like "We are Family" and "Play that Funky Music."

A few nights ago we retired to the basement for a jam session, my husband on drums, my older daughter on guitar and me on bass ... the sun fell and my six year old drifted off to sleep, her foot still tapping out the beat.



2 comments:

Tamra Norton said...

And she's darling to boot! :)

Marcia Mickelson said...

Cute picture. Wow, I'm so impressed. Six years old. That is genius.