Pages

Monday, August 27, 2007

Rainy Days


I love the rain! All night and all the morning we've had gushes to drizzles to gushes again, and I can't get enough. There's something about the rain. Oh ... and running in the rain is better than a hot fudge sundae!

When I moved to Louisiana years ago, we got 12 inches of rain in just a few days. I wondered if it would ever stop and I must say I was getting slightly worried as we were no longer able to see the road, any neighbors or the yard because of the downpour. I learned quickly why everyone in the area kept rubber boots by the door. That was the first time I've ever heard of school being canceled because of the rain.

We lived there for nearly three years before moving back to Utah 12 years ago and I still miss the rain and humidity. Ah, well, if all goes well, we'll pay a visit this October.

There's something about the homes in the south, too. Inspired by the old plantations, many have wide porches the length of the house, columns and great expanses of lawn between the road and the house, with beautiful, long driveways.

Oh, and trees! What trees you see in the south. Oaks with branches dipping to the ground and moss dangling from the limbs. That's something I've always wanted, but as long as I live in Utah, I'll never have my live oak. I've come to terms with that, however, as I've come to love the city where I live, the neighbors, the ward ....

2 comments:

Tamra Norton said...

Robyn,

You've perfectly described the south. I'm in Houston, very close to Louisiana, so we get the humidity and heat--ugh! Not crazy about that. But it's only half the year--the other half is heavenly! We get some fantastic rain and thunder storms too! The best part about this area, though, is the friendly people. Southern hospitality is alive and well!

Robyn Heirtzler said...

That's something else so different about living here, the hospitality is different. And back door neighbors! I don't know that I ever went to a front door while living in Louisiana. We all used back doors and generally walked right in.

We lived just north of Baton Rouge, close to two huge rivers where we'd take the canoe out and fish all day or just spend the day swimming in the river, watching for water moccasins.