Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Operation Purple Camp


This past week I received an invitation to participate in Operation Purple--a free summer camp program for military children who have a deployed parent. There are dozens of these camps all over the United States funded by the National Military Family Association. What a great program! I'll be at the one in Trinity, Texas.


I feel so so humbled and honored that I was asked to speak to these kids about my books Make Me a Memory and Make Me a Home. These brave children are actually living the life that I wrote for my main character, Allie. I can only hope that through our conversation they will feel support and encouragement to carry on.


These children are incredibly brave!


They are the reason I wrote these books.


Last summer CBS Sunday Morning did a spotlight on the Operation Purple camps. Click HERE to watch.
To donate to Operation Purple chick HERE.

4 comments:

Marcia Mickelson said...

What a great opportunity to hang with those kids. What these kids have to go through is hard. I'm glad there are programs like Operation Purple camp for them and people like you writing for them. Hope it goes well.

Crystal Liechty said...

I'm so excited for you! You're going to be such a blessing to those children!!!

Annette Lyon said...

What a cool experience. Who knew when you started writing those books where it would lead? Wow!

Elodia Strain said...

Wow! Those kids will be so lucky to have you! My dad is a disabled American Veteran. I dealt with a lot of the kid-emotions by burying my head in Nancy Drew and The Babysitter's Club. If I had a book to read about somebody just like me...it would have been amazing! You rock!