Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

Confession: I really want one!

I can't believe I'm even admitting it! I love, love books. I love owning them, holding them in my hands, writing all over them and keeping my favorites. I never thought I'd see the day when I would actually want an electronic reading thingie. This one is the Kindle 2, and it can all but fly you to the moon.

But this is so cool! Download entire books in nothing-flat! Someone tells you about a great book- say no more, download it now!

And yet...I will always love the act of walking through a bookstore on the hunt for something really good.

This will be yet another part of life I'll learn to balance. I'll always love the old-fashioned book. Yet, this cool, sleek new toy is just too yummy to resist. Someday I'll own one. And in the meantime...I'll keep flipping pages.

What about you? Preferences?

3 comments:

Annette Lyon said...

My hubby just bought the Kindle 2, and so far, I love it.

It'll never replace the experience of a real book, but golly, it's convenient and easy to use. I can see it really taking off, especially for people who travel a lot and don't want to lug 10 books in their carry-on.

Elodia Strain said...

I don't know...I just love the tactile experience of books. Plus, I work on the computer all day, so I sometimes want to go low-tech in my chill out time. But you're right, it's pretty much a traveller's dream.

Marsha Ward said...

Does downloading to the Kindle depend on Internet availability or cell tower proximity? It won't do me any good to buy one if I can't get books (I live in a dead zone).