Pages

Monday, March 9, 2009

Fifty & Fabulous

by Elodia Strain

Today one of my dearest friends is celebrating her 50th birthday.

This friend was my original BFF--there for me whenever and wherever I needed her. She was there when I went to Yellowstone National Park. There when I watched the Olympics for the first time. There for me after school during those years I got teased a lot.

She was the first to teach me about fashion, hair, and makeup. Sometimes she got a bit of flak for this, but for me, it was empowering to have a friend who could be an astronaut, an Olympian--or whatever she wanted to be--and do it all in heels!

In fact, it was playing with this friend that I first started to make up stories. Sometimes very elaborate ones that picked up every day when I got home from school.

Who is this friend, you wonder? Why none other than Miss Barbara Millicent Roberts--aka Barbie.

That's right, Barbie is 50!

And in celebration, today Mattel is throwing my dear friend a pink-carpet birthday bash in a 3,500-square-foot real-life Barbie's Dreamhouse--located in Malibu, California. Found in this dream house: A closet filled with thousands of shoes!

Now that's the friend I know and love.



(I want that Barbie rug! Photo from lasnark.com)
Happy Birthday, Barbie! Thanks for the memories!

3 comments:

Marcia Mickelson said...

I LOVED Barbie growing up. I played with them until I was 17. I still have them up in my attic.

Janette Rallison said...

And yet she still looks younger than me. Life is so unfair.

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

My mom even made clothes for our Barbies. The pants were always so hard to put on, though! :-)