Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Spires of Stone


I recently read Spires of Stone by Annette Lyon. I don't usually read much historical LDS fiction as I prefer contemporary LDS fiction. However, I do have to say that I loved Spires of Stone. Before reading it, I was intrigued by the premise loosely based on Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. I had also heard great reviews about it. The story revolves around sisters Bethany and Hannah and a trio of brothers--Ben, Phillip, and Claude. The setting is in Salt Lake City during the construction of the Salt Lake Temple. I love how Lyon weaves in interesting historical facts about the temple's construction into the book. I was impressed with how well-researched the book is, and I enjoyed the historical notes in the back that explains more details about why it took 40 years to complete. I especially enjoyed the interaction between Bethany and Ben. Theirs is a love/hate relationship which is my favorite premise for a book. The insults they sling at each other is just to cover up their true feelings of love. Ben's brothers and Bethany's sister conspire to get the feuding duo back together. Meanwhile, Claude and Phillip are both in love with Hannah. It was a very touching book and very enjoyable. The characters were vivid, each unique and portrayed well. I highly recommend this book, and I just may like LDS historical novels after all. And speaking of great novels, have you nominated your favorite book of 2007 for a Whitney Award? December 31st is the final day to nominate your favorite LDS novel for a Whitney Award. Click here to nominate a novel.

No comments: