Saturday, September 1, 2007

Jet Lag

When I woke up this morning, it was a long time ago. Really. Well, sort of. I think I've been awake for 25 hours now, not counting some dozing-off time here and there. Before that, I slept all of two hours; I had to pack and get us out of our hotel in Munich by about 4AM so we could get to the airport in time to catch a 7AM flight back to the US. This adventure in the dark was followed by a short flight and then an eight-hour flight that I spent essentially crammed into my seat with my arms glued to my sides so as not to bump arms with the stranger on my left or overflow into my husband's seat on the right. (Bumping arms with him is OK.)

I did make an attempt to update my journal on the flight, but typing is pretty tough when you can't move your arms. And then my laptop ran out of batteries anyway.

And now I'm trying to navigate through the mounds of dirty laundry we hauled home with us across the ocean. I have to, because someone's church clothes are in there and I think we have church tomorrow. I'm not sure when tomorrow is. I've been awake for 25 hours but it's not even 10PM yet--not even bedtime in the USA! Surely I can keep my eyes pried open long enough to fold a load of clothes. Maybe after that, tomorrow will finally arrive.

Right now it's 4:45 AM in Germany, where we were this morning (or that morning; I'm not sure). I seem to remember having eaten four meals today; we would have eaten another but we were frankly tired of eating. This super-long day we're experiencing right now complements the super-short one we had on the way out there. They served us dinner on the plane, and then a few hours later they served us breakfast. We got off the plane and it was morning all around us.

Anyway, we had a lovely trip, and I did manage to stay awake while I wrote this blog, mostly.


Tristi Pinkston said...

I want to hear all about your trip when you've had enough sleep!

Tamra Norton said...

Me too! Me too! What were you doing in Germany?