Pages

Monday, March 3, 2008

Sports Pain and Writing Contests

I can't believe I missed another Monday, last Monday anyway. You see, last May we went waterskiing and had a ball! Wow! The thing is, I think I seriously damaged my shoulder and last Monday I couldn't move my arm at all. That made it tough to get my weekly Enews out or update the Chamber of Commerce website, but after some great yucca, I was able to finish and crash. I didn't make it to Ink Ladies, however. Today, I think it's time to call a doctor.

Back to writing. A few weeks ago I was asked to judge a writing contest. Fun! Of course I said yes, and I still don't regret it, although I'm learning that it's much harder than it first sounded. I have my first place picked out, that was the easy part, but second?

It's a great experience, I'll say that much. It's a great way to see what really works and why some stories just don't. It's been fun, too. Topics do range ... I really had no idea.

I'm grateful for the opportunity and think all the authors are fabulous just for taking the time to enter. I wish them success and determination to keep going.

As for my next novel? Well, February has come and gone so I've decided I need to finish it before the end of March. By sharing that goal online, hopefully I'll stick to it.

3 comments:

Marcia Mickelson said...

Good luck with your deadline. My January self-appointed deadline has turned into March as well. Although, I seriously doubt it will be finished until after April. I just hope I don't have to make it May.

C. Michelle Jefferies said...

What contest did you judge? I'm just curious, I entered the LTUE short story contest and took third place in the adult section. I think it would be a fun and interesting but difficult thing to do.

Michelle

Robyn Heirtzler said...

It's a local contest, the entrants from southern Utah. They're far enough from me that I doubt I'd know any of them even if their names were on their papers. It's a separate chapter of the same writing group I'm a member of. It has been fun and quite interesting!