Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Touching Scene at the Airport

This past week, I was in Salt Lake to attend the LDStorymakers Conference, and I was going to blog about that. However, I witnessed a touching scene at the San Antonio Airport today when I flew back home. I wanted to blog about that instead.

I was waiting outside at the departing/arriving curbside of Terminal 2 at the San Antonio International Airport. I was waiting for my husband and three boys to pick me up after their church ended. At that terminal, there are cars both dropping off passengers or picking up people who've arrived.

I saw a minivan pull up to the curb right in front of me. There was an older man driving, the grandpa, I assume. Out came a woman in her late 20's or early 30's. She was dressed in an Air Force uniform. I noticed next to her was seated a young baby, probably 18 months or so. From the back seat, came a man, also dressed in an Air Force uniform. I couldn't help but watch the scene unfold. The baby was cranky and crying right off. At first, I thought that both mom and dad were leaving, perhaps deployed somewhere on military service. The baby was crying and holding his arms out toward his parents. The couple embraced for a few minutes and then dad continued into the airport. The mom got back into the car. All the while, the baby was crying for his dad. I almost couldn't watch. I was sad. Mom was not leaving that day, but perhaps one day she too will be called away. It hurt my heart about the little boy. I am in awe and admiration to all those who sacrifice their time to serve our country. What a great service they give; what a great sacrifice. They are people of great honor and duty.

I felt so guilty that I would be soon seeing my family. I missed them for the few days that I was away, but I was really glad to be seeing them. But, I felt so guilty that I was saying 'hello' while they were saying 'good-bye.' I don't know how long that dad will be gone, but 'good-bye' is never easy. A few minutes later, my van pulled up. It was so good to see them, and I still felt guilty. I'm still thinking about that family. I just hope that all the people who serve our country can soon be with their families.

4 comments:

Tamster said...

That is touching. I'm glad it wasn't both parents leaving. That poor baby! :-(

Janette Rallison said...

Ohhhhh! That just breaks your heart, doesn't it? I really shouldn't whine about my little problems . . .

Doug Johnston said...

It is like when we go to heaven I suppose. They will be sad to see us gone here, but people will be happy to see us up there.

I enjoyed meeting you this last weekend!

Tamra Norton said...

At a school visit I did yesterday a young girl came up to me afterward to tell me that her dad is in Iraq and has been gone a year and a half. I just wanted to grab that young girl and give her a big hug. She was all smiles though, because she said her dad was coming home next month. Wow--what a reunion that will be!