Pages

Monday, August 4, 2008

When September Ends it'll be Brown Eyed Girl

So I'm officially a bass player ... I'm learning at least. That's got to count for something. It's something I wasn't sure about at first, but I find it's addictive and strangely therapeutic.

So I took the plunge a few months ago and bought a four-stringed electric bass guitar and amp. It fit nicely with all the other loud instruments in my basement. Now I'm playing ... music ... really. I went through a book of bass lessons and have spoken to several bass players. I considered lessons from a real live person, but he moved before we set them up ... so I'm teaching myself, which is fairly common where bass playing is concerned, or so I've heard.

So I learned an easy one to begin with, Wonderful Tonight. I moved on from there to Sweet Home Alabama, which I'm still trying to get down; and to Rocky Mountain Way. Fun, fun, fun.

Now that I've mastered When September ends, my favorite to date, I'm working on my first song with a real bass solo, Brown Eyed Girl.

I'll be jamming in no time! Watch out, Roy, here I come!

3 comments:

Marcia Mickelson said...

Good for you. That's great when people follow through on things they've always wanted to do!

Tamra Norton said...

How fun! Good for you! I have a secret fantasy of playing the drums! :) My kids love Guitar Hero, and I guess they've been playing Rock Band at friends houses.

Robyn Heirtzler said...

Tamra, you ought to indulge and buy Rock Band, or better yet, get a whole set of drums. We did last year. Everyone's enjoyed them!