Pages

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Writing Again

By Marcia Mickelson

So, I took a few weeks off from writing. I watched a few movies. I read Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn. (Go to my blog if you'd like to read my review.)

Now, I'm back to writing mode. It feels good to be off editing mode and back to writing mode. I have 38,352 words written in my work in progress. So far, I don't like my working title. It needs a little work.

It feels good to be back to writing. And, I'm working on a fairly new project. I started it in April during Book In A Month and am so happy to pick it back up. I've been working on old stuff for so long. It feels good to be working on something new.

I'm trying to write at least 1,000 words a day. So far, the month has gone okay. Thanks to Tristi Pinkston for once again sponsoring a BIAM for August. I hope to actually add to the word count this time. Last BIAM, I used for editing and my word count diminished rather than increased.

Once school starts, I think I'll be more successful because the kids' bedtime gets more regular. I would love to have this thing finished by October. Then, it's back to editing mode. Yuck. I don't like editing.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I think it's amazing that you can be 38000 words in and be pretty confident it'll be done by October. I just can't keep going on mine, I go in spurts. I imagine it'll always take me a year or two (more likely at least two) to write a full novel. I'm hoping to get at least one of my current projects done by the end of the year (one is so close!) but I don't know that either will be. Your dedication and persistance is amazing.

Janette Rallison said...

I need to get back to writing and I don't even have the excuse that I was busy reading Breaking Dawn. (Which is way more fun than all the junk that's been keeping me busy.)

Marcia Mickelson said...

Oh, Amanda, I don't know how confident I am. It's just hoping. Most of my completed novels have taken me 1-3 years to write. This one, for some reason, has come more easily. And, when I say hope to finish by October, I mean very rough draft. No where near submitting. Remember, my last one took 8 months to edit. I'm sure this one will as well.

Janette-Hope your junk gets better soon.

Tamra Norton said...

For me, writing the firstr draft is the hardest part--and I'm a sloooow writer. I did the BIAM in July and some days it took all day to get to that 1000 word goal. Seriously. But I'm doing edits now and it's moving along at a pretty good pace.

Congrats on the writing Marcia!