Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

And Now, For Something Mundane

by Marsha Ward

Robyn has thrilled you with tales of dust and four-wheeling and the great outdoors. I'm going for something a bit closer to home: bedding.

I love the crisp, clean smell of freshly laundered sheets on a bed. I don't particularly like the physical struggle to put them on, but the results is always satisfying.

This summer I decided to splurge on new sheets. I didn't buy the most expensive ones, but got some of the "better" class: coral and green fitted sheets and pillow cases, and white flats. New pillows, too, to replace the flattened ones that made my neck ache.

After I attended a writer's retreat where I took the white flats as bedding, I decided to keep them in a bag with a pillow, and here's why. I frequently crash at a friend's house in the Valley, and if I bring my own bedding, I won't make extra work for her. She is so gracious as it is, that I don't want to add to her burdens, especially as she recovers from a knee injury.

That left me with two fitted sheets and no tops. But lo and behold! I already had a spiffy print set with the colors coral and green. I put on the coral bottom and used the print top, and they look quite nice together. I'm sure I'll find other top sheets as I go so the numbers match. But in my household, one set on the bed and one in the closet is probably more than sufficient. Except when I want the flannels for winter!

1 comment:

Julie Wright said...

i love new sheets! I drive my husband nuts since I am constantly buying new bedding. It is my achiles heel for shopping