Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Likeable Characters



I had a few people read one of my manuscripts. Two, okay three of them, said that the main character was not very likable. This has me a little worried. She is not heartless or malicious by any means. She just has a few issues, but who of us doesn't? She doesn't do anything immoral or wicked, she's just a little cold at first. She does warm up a bit later.


This has made me think. How many of us disliked Mr. Darcy at the onset of Pride and Prejudice? Most of us, unless we were watching the A&E version of the movie with Colin Firth and who could dislike Colin Firth. He's so handsome, okay hot. He's hot! (I don't think I've used that word in that context since high school.) Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that not all characters have to be lovable. I think as readers, we can accept that people are flawed. As long as they grow through the course of the novel, we can accept them, right? Help, can anyone think of any characters that they didn't really like at the beginning of the novel, but could accept and ended up enjoying the novel.

1 comment:

Tamra Norton said...

It's hard for me to love a book when I don't like the main character. Having said that, there have been some authors who've changed my mind on this. Julie Wright did this masterfully in My Not So Fairy Tale Life. Her main character Suzie (I think her nickname was Cue) simply wasn't a very likable person. But by the end of that book, I truly cared for her and what happened to her. She had changed, and so had I. I LOVED this book! I need to run out and get your book, Marcia! It's on my list.

BTW, I made a quick unexpected trip to San Antonio today to drop my son off at EFY (someone else was supposed to drive, but couldn't). So much for my writing day. Oh well. I thought of you! :)

Oh, and I LOVE Colin Firth! Did you hear that they're making a movie about Jane Austen staring Anne Hathaway? It's called Becoming Jane and it comes out this summer. The previews look SOOOOO GOOD!!!!