Pages

Monday, July 9, 2007

Mondays!


Okay, so it's Monday - and I remembered about the blog, despite sick children, publication due dates, passport applications and one very disobedient little boy.

But here I am in all my glory - no one's hidden a camera on my laptop have they? Seriously, it has been on hectic week, but a wonderful one. Aren't they all wonderful in one way or another?

I thoroughly enjoyed speaking at the writer's conference in Cedar City last Saturday and met some fabulous people. The scariest part of it though was speaking in front of my brother-in-law, who happened to be the speaker after me. Not only did he teach me nearly everything I know about writing, but he often graces the NYT best seller lists. But I must have done something right as he would smile and nod as I gave my version of creating characters. He even stuck around long enough to be seen with me afterward!

Of course creating characters has always been one of my favorite parts of writing. Even now I am making myself close Word so I can take a moment to communicate with real people. Then there's the research. I love to do research for my writing and this latest project is totally consuming me, but I'm enjoying every minute of it. Even my children and my husband are fascinated! Of course, by the time I finish my final draft, they will be covering their ears and saying, "Enough already! Let us have a few surprises when we read the book!"

My husband is my best sounding board. Talking with him, I'm able to sort out problems in my own mind and make my plots stronger, my characters more believable. What patience it must take to live with me.

Oh my rambling mind ... I mentioned passports in the first paragraph. My parents have convinced us to go to Western Samoa with them in November. What fun! I can hardly wait to enjoy the sandy beaches and fresh coconut milk. They just recently returned from a mission there and want to go to the graduation of the students they were teaching. I have a couple of siblings going with their spouses too, and can only imagine the time we'll have.

Did the photo come through? We're practicing for our trip in November, actually my mom and dad were teaching us some Samoan dances at their homecoming. That's me in the middle with the peach shirt ... my husband to the right.

4 comments:

Elodia Strain said...

How exciting! Sand and coconut milk--I'm so jealous. Have a wonderful trip.

Robyn Heirtzler said...

Thanks! I plan on enjoying myself as much as possible while winter rages in Utah!

Marcia Mickelson said...

What a fun picture. Thanks for sharing it. Who's your brother-in-law? What has he written. That's great you've had him to help you.

Katie Parker said...

Western Samoa in the winter! You poor thing! ;-)