Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2007

The power of rhyme?

Hello, hello! Well, I'm Crystal Liechty, author of The First Year and this is my first ever blog! I've read my share and commented on my share but never got around to posting a blog all on my own. I think part of the reason is that I kind of think of blogs as an online diary. With that in mind, it's hard for me to imagine posting my unadulterated thought streams for all to read.

So far it's not so bad.

Let's see, what to talk about? Hmm...

I was thinking the other day that most people will agree with what you say if you can make it rhyme. For example: 'the couple that plays together stays together.' Or 'a stitch in time saves nine.' Even 'he who smelt it delt it.'

That last one especially I know from personal experience. Third grade-- I was foolish enough to point out an odd smell. The boy next to me loudly proclaimed the above cliche while pointing at me in front of the whole class and for the rest of the day I was teased. I said then and I will say again now: I was INNOCENT! But, even though the boy's reasoning was based on nothing more than rhyme, the class believed him.

So, I've been working on a few rhymes of my own to try out on various people. Feel free to try them yourself and report back on their success. Here they are:

He who does the dishes gets what he wishes

If I'm busy typing, you do the wiping (that one's for poopy diapers)

If I ask about the size of my thighs, it's best to tell lies

If I get any praise, it's time for a raise

Hope you enjoyed,
Crystal

1 comment:

Tamra Norton said...

LOL, Crystal! This is great!!! And I had a similar blog-writing phobia, but so far it's been quite painless.